Have you ever felt worried about your behaviour or wondered why your friends or others seem to get on better than you, perhaps at school, or with hobbies and interests?
Have you felt like you don’t fit in but don’t really know why?
Is it hard to understand why friendships don’t work out?
Are you having trouble at home, with siblings or parents?
Are you worried about your school work or your future?
Do your thoughts seem to take charge and your mood dictates the decisions you make?
Sometimes life can feel tough and it can be hard to find a reason why. Sometimes we are troubled by thoughts of the past or worried by thoughts of the future. When you are experiencing emotional difficulties, you can find it challenging to focus on school, work, or hobbies and your relationships can be affected.
Unlike ‘talking therapies’, Art Therapy is not purely dependent on spoken language. Art Therapy can offer you a safe space to explore your worries, whatever they may be. Using art making during therapy can help you find a way to express things which you may have been struggling to explain to others.
Art Therapy can be helpful if you are:
• Finding it difficult to express yourself
• Having difficulty making sense of the world
• Having trouble understanding yourself in relation to others
• Having difficulty forming or sustaining healthy relationships
What can Karen Sawyer offer you with Individual Art Therapy
For Children or Teenagers
• Initially I speak with your parent or carer to think about some of the concerns you have and whether I may be able to help
• Following this we would meet together at my clinic in Tring with your parents or carers
• During this meeting we can explore the difficulties that you are having, think about the best way to support you and decide on the best way forward
Onward support may include:
• Individual Art Therapy sessions for you on a weekly basis
• Regular sessions with your Parent or Carer to help them think about your difficulties and how you may need to be supported at school or home
• As the weekly Art Therapy progresses we also may meet with your parents or carers to review your overall progress and agree when it is the right time to conclude Art Therapy.
For Adults / Students in therapeutic/counselling training
• An initial telephone consultation to consider the concerns you have and whether I may be able to help
• A consultation meeting at my clinic in Tring
• During this meeting we can explore the difficulties you are having, identify where you require support, and decide on the best way forward
Onward support may include:
• Individual Art Therapy sessions usually on a weekly basis
• Regular meetings to review your overall progress and agree when it is the right time to conclude Art Therapy.
• Karen Sawyer is an HCPC and BAAT Registered Art Therapist and BAAT Approved Private Practitioner with enhanced DBS clearance which is a requirement of any person working with children and young people in the UK.
• I offer a flexible approach agreed in discussion with you or your parent or carer. Sessions take place in a private consulting room in Tring, Hertfordshire. Small group work is available on a pre bookable basis.